Daily Current Affairs GK Update – 14 July 2015
World’s largest Cancer Registry System set up by China:
- The cancer registry system will contain data about cancer and tumor diseases of Chinese people.
- It records complete summary of cancer patient history including diagnosis, treatment and status of every cancer patient.
- However the registry excludes the medical costs.
- It will help China to fight the cancer diseases with more-targeted and evidence-based intervention programmes.
- In China, at least 3 million people develop cancer each year and it claims 2.2 million lives in China and costs at least US 16 billion dollars each year.
Four Indian scientists receive William Harvey Award 2015:
- Saeedul Hasan Arif, Kafeel Akhtar. Shagufta Qadri and Suhailur Rahman from Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College (JNMC) have jointly been awarded the prestigious William Harvey Award 2015.
- They were selected for this award in the field of Hematology for their work in the rare Hemoglobin C (Hb C) disease.
- What is Hemoglobin C disease?:
- Hemoglobin C disease is a blood disorder passed down through families. It leads to a type of anemia, which occurs when red blood cells break down earlier than normal.
- This disease is widely prevalent in West African and Mediterranean countries and not common in the Indian sub-continent.
- About William Harvey Award:
- The award is named after English scientist William Harvey . He was the first known to describe completely and in detail the systemic circulation and properties of blood being pumped to the brain and body by the heart
Union Civil Aviation Ministry launches GAGAN System:
- GAGAN- GPS AIDED GEO AUGMENTED NAVIGATION
- With this, India has become the fourth nation after the US, Europe and Japan to have inter-operable Satellite Based Augmentation System (SBAS).
- GAGAN is the first SBAS system in the world to serve the equatorial region.
- Its primary objective is to establish, deploy and certify satellite based augmentation system for safety-of-life civil aviation applications for the Indian air space.
- The system will provide corrections to the GPS signal in order to improve air traffic management.
- It is 10 times more precise compared to GPS and radio navigation aids used for precision landing.
- It will make airline operations more efficient by increasing fuel savings, direct routes, ease of search and rescue operations, reduced workload of flight crew and Air Traffic Controllers and cost savings due to withdrawal of ground aids.
- The system is inter-operable with other international SBAS systems like US-WAAS, European EGNOS, and Japanese MSAS etc.
India’s longest road tunnel set to open in 2016:
- The Patnitop Tunnel or Chenani-Nashri Tunnel is touted as India’s longest road tunnel.
- Patnitop Tunnel: Located on Jammu-Sri Nagar National Highwary (NH1A) in Udhampur district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- It connects Chenani in Udhampur with Nashri in Ramban district on the National Highway-1A (NH1A).
- It’s objective is to make the NH1A all-weather friendly by avoiding frequent disruptions to traffic that occur due to snowfall and avalanche in winter at Patnitop.
- The 9.2 km tunnel will reduce the distance between two cities — Jammu and Srinagar — by around 30 km.
Nag anti-tank missile tested from air platform:
- HeliNa is a helicopter-launched version of Nag missile.
- The indigenously developed Nag anti-tank guided missile was successfully tested from a helicopter platform at the Chandhan firing range in Jaisalmer in Rajasthan.
Sayed Haider Raza conferred with France’s highest civillian Honour:
- Famous artist Sayed Haider Raza was conferred with highest French Civilian Award Commandeur de la Lgion dHonneur (the Legion of Honour).
- He was bestowed with this award on the occasion of the French National Day (14 July).
- He was bestowed with this honour for his peerless achievements in transcending all boundaries, forging ties between France and India and for continuing artistic quest straddling nations, religions, cultures and philosophies.
- FACT: His seminal work, ‘Saurashtra’ was sold for record 16.42 crore rupees on 10 June 2010.
- Sayed Haider Raza has also recieved Padma Shri (1981), Padma Bhushan (2007) and Padma Vibhushan (2013).
- The Legion of Honour is the highest civilian award given by the French Government. It is bestowed upon for persons for their outstanding service to France, regardless of the nationality of the recipients.
India and Georgia ink MoU on electoral cooperation:
- India and Georgia have signed a MOU for cooperation in the field of election management and administration.
- The major aims of MoU are:
- To promote exchanges of experience and knowledge in electoral processes.
- Exchange of materials, expertise, information and training of personnel for electoral purpose.
- Distribution and production of materials in the field of electoral systems, voting technology, voters’ education and awareness.
- To promote participation of women and minorities in electoral process.
- Till date, Election Commission of India has signed around 20 MoUs with different international election management bodies and organizations across the world.
India and Tajikistan sign 2 pacts to strengthen bilateral relations :
- These 2 pacts are as follows:
- Programme of Cooperation (POC) in the field of Culture: To increase cooperation in the field of culture between both nations through exchange of expertise for protection, preservation and promotion of cultural heritage. It also seeks to exchange of information and experts and organization of cultural days for greater cultural understanding between the countries.
- Exchange of Note Verbale (NV) on setting up of Computer Labs: It conveys the intention of India to set up computer labs in 37 schools in Tajikistan. With this initiative India’s seeks to support Tajikistan in human resource and skill development efforts.
- Also, India and Tajikistan have agreed to promote the International North South transport corridor (INSTC).
Click this link for Previous Days Current Affairs: Daily Current Affairs GK for UPSC, IBPS Bank Po, Bank Clerical, SSC, HPAS, PCS, AFCAT, CDS, NDA,State Civil Services and other exams
Did you find ” Daily Current Affairs GK Update – 14 July 2015″ useful? Leave your Comments down below.