Daily Current Affairs GK Update – 6 July 2015
4 Indian-Americans honoured with Great Immigrants award 2015 in United States:
- 4 Indian-Americans have been honoured with the prestigious Great Immigrants, The Pride of America award 2015.
- Total 38 distinguished personalities from more than 30 countries around the world were honoured with this year’s award.
- 4 Indian-Americans are
- Preet Bharara: US Attorney, Southern District of New York.
- Rakesh Khurana: Dean of Harvard College and Marvin Bower Professor of Leadership and Development.
- Madhulika Sikka: Vice President and Executive Editor of Mic.
- Abraham Verghese: Physician, Professor and Author.
- The award is given by New York-based Carnegie Corporation on the occasion of Independence Day of United States i.e. 4th July.
- Carnegie Corporation was founded by Andrew Carnegie and he was one of pioneer American capitalist.
India retains South Asian Basketball Championship:
- The final match was played at Kanteerava Stadium in Bengaluru, Karnataka
- India defeated Sri Lanka in the finals by 93-44 score.
- With this win India qualified for the FIBA Asia Championship which will be hosted by China in September 2015.
- It was the 4th edition of the Championship.
- Results of SABA 2015: India (gold), Sri Lanka (silver) and Nepal (bronze).
Famous Pakistani Urdu novelist Abdullah Hussain died:
- He had received worldwide fame for his masterpiece Urdu novel and greatest contemporary works of Urdu fiction Udas Naslain in 1964.
- UNESCO had published a translation of this novel named as The Weary Generations.
Lewis Hamilton wins F1 British Grand Prix 2015:
- Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain won F1 British Grand Prix 2015.
- It was his fourth victory of the season and his second of British Grand Prix.
- With this victor, y Lewis Hamilton has become the second British F1 driver to win British Grand Prix two times after David Coulthard.
US wins Women’s FIFA World Cup for 3rd time :
- In the World Cup final match played at Vancouver in Canada, US defeated Japan by 5-2 .
- Extra Facts:
- United States has the record for most wins i.e 3 times (1991, 1999 and 2015), followed by Germany 2 times (2003, 2007).
Chile wins Copa America title 2015 of football for first time:
- Chile won South America’s most prestigious football trophy, the Copa America title 2015 for the first time. Chile was also the host of Copa America.
- It is Chile’s first ever international trophy in Football.
- In the final match played at Santiago de Chile, Chile defeated 14 times champion Argentina by 4-1 goals in the penalty shootout as regular match had ended in a goal-less draw.
- In the penalty shootout Matías Fernández, Arturo Vidal, Alexis Sanchez and Charles Aránguiz of Chilean team scored 1 goal each.
- Lionel Messi scored the only goal in the penalty shoot from Argentina.
- Extra facts about Copa America title:
- It is played between the men’s national football teams of South American Football Confederation . It is oldest international continental football competition established in 1916.
- Most wins : Uruguay has won this title for record 15 times whereas Argentina has won Copa America 14 times.
FDI in manufacturing of tobacco products prohibited:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) prohibited the foreign direct investment (FDI) in manufacturing of tobacco products.
- This prohibition will be in case of manufacturing of cigars, cigarillos, cheroots and cigarettes of tobacco or of tobacco substitutes.
Champagne vineyards of France granted with World Heritage status by UNESCO:
- The Champagne Hillsides, Houses and Cellars of France were granted with the World Heritage Status by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
- The decision to grant the status was given during the 39th session of the World Heritage Committee held in Bonn, Germany.
- The Champagne World Heritage status covered the places where sparkling wine was developed using a second fermentation method in the bottle from the beginning of the 17th century until its early industrialisation in the 19th century.
- It mentioned the historic vineyards of Hautvillers where the monk Dom Perignon invented the fermentation process that gives champagne its fizz.
- Besides, another cultural site in France – The Climats, terroirs of Burgundy – was declared as World Heritage Site.
- About the status of World Heritage Site
A World Heritage Site is a status granted to a place (such as a building, city, complex, desert, forest, island, lake, monument, or mountain) that is listed by the UNESCO as being of special cultural or physical significance.
- These are annually declared during the UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee meeting which is composed of 21 UNESCO member states elected by the General Assembly.
- About Second fermentation:
- Second fermentation is a process commonly associated with winemaking, which entails a second period of fermentation in a different vessel than the one used to start the fermentation process.
- Click Here to Read World Heritage sites in India.
President of Tunisia declared 30-day state of emergency:
- President of Tunisia Beji Caid Essebsi declared state of emergency in the country for 30 days.
- The decision was taken against the backdrop of Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) gun attack on 26 June 2015 on Hotel Riu Imperial Marhaba on the Mediterranean coast.
- ISIS has called for more such attacks by the militant organisation during the holy month of Ramadan.
India is now a 2 trillion economy:
- According to World Bank report, India’s GDP crossed the 2 trillion mark.
- India’s per capita income grows t0 1610 USD from 1560 USD.
- After taking 6o years to touch 1 trillion mark, India touched 2 trillion mark in just 7 years.
- Also, it would take India a little more than a decade to rise from ‘lower middle income’ level to ‘upper middle income’ level.
Click this link for Previous Days Current Affairs: Daily Current Affairs GK for UPSC, IBPS Bank Po, Bank Clerical, SSC, HPAS, PCS, AFCAT, CDS, NDA,State Civil Services and other exams
Did you find ” Daily Current Affairs GK Update -6 July 2015″ useful? Leave your Comments down below.