As per the Census 2011, the state of Himachal Pradesh has the highest migrant population from Punjab followed by Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Uttarakhand. This has been revealed by the Census 2011 data on migration released recently. The report states that the highest number of migration to HP has taken place because of marriage while works and employment, education, business and moving with the household are some other reasons for the migration of people to the state.
Key Points of the HP Migration Report:
- As per the report, the total migrant population in HP stands at 26.47 lakh – 19.8 lakh women migrants 6.67lakh male migrants.
- Out of the total migrant population, almost 3 lakh migrants (including 2.36 lakh males and 59,814 females) have come to the state for works and employment, while 10,539 migrants (8,235 males and 2304 females) are involved in some business.
- There are 45,731 people (24,989 males and 20,742 females) who have migrated to Himachal Pradesh for pursing education.
- The report states that 15.42 lakh people (25,928 males and 15.16 lakh females) have migrated to the state post-marriage, while 87,800 people have migrated to the state after birth.
- The report also reveals that there are 3.54 lakh people (1.54 lakh males and 2 lakh females) who have moved in with household, while there are 3.11 lakh migrants who fall in other categories.
State-Wise Migration Data:
- From Punjab, there are 1.31 lakh migrants in the state of HP of which 14,863 migrants came for works and employment, 1,157 for business, 2,148 for education, 65,610 migrated after marriage, 9,672 moved after birth, 21,116 moved with household while 16,285 were other migrants.
- From the state of Uttar Pradesh, 66,005 migrants arrived in the state of which 28,681 came for works and employment, 764 for business, 900 for education, 5448 after marriage, 1068 after birth, 21673 moved with household while 7471 were other migrants.
- From the state of Bihar, 37,600 migrants arrived in the state of which 21,064 came for works and employment, 164 for business, 307 for education, 1350 after marriage, 389 after birth, 10,682 moved with household while 3444 were other migrants.
- From the state of Haryana 35,750 migrants arrived in the state of which 5152 came for works and employment, 527 for business, 634 for education, 15,998 after marriage, 1,730 after birth, 7505 moved with household while 4204 were other migrants.
- From the state of Uttarakhand 22,740 arrived in the state of which 5695 came for works and employment, 141 for business, 426 for education, 8329 after marriage, 483 after birth, 5429 moved with household while 2237 were other migrants.
- From National Capital Territory of Delhi, 18467 migrants arrived in the state of which 3680 came for works and employment, 239 for business, 745 for education, 3025 after marriage, 1043 after birth, 5454 moved with household while 4281 were other migrants.
Sharing increases Knowledge!Please Share the “Himachal Current Affairs” with others. Leave your comments if you find this helpful. Help us in Sharing the Knowledge