India Census 2011 Data at a Glance
India Census 2011 – Data at a Glance
This Article lists out the important data related to the Census of India 2011. Data like demographics of India, Population of India, Decadal Growth rate, Sex Ratio, Literacy rates etc. have been compiled. Many questions in various exams like UPSC civil services, State Civil Services, SSC, CDS, Afcat etc. are based directly or indirectly on the latest census of India.
These facts are compiled from the India Census 2011 reports. Only the most important points are included here on which the direct questions can appear in the examinations. If readers are interested in detailed information about the India Census 2011, then check out the official website on Census of India.
Size, Growth Rate and Total Population:
- Total Population as per Census 2011 data – 1.21 billion.
- India covers 2.4% of total area of the world and supports around 17% of world’s population.
- Only Bangladesh has more population density than India in the list of Top 10 most populous countries.
- All the Top 10 most populous countries showed increase in population during 2001-2011 except Russia where the population decreased.
- Top 10 most populous countries of the world are :
- Nigeria has the highest decadal growth rate of population (26.84%)among TOP 10 most populous countries of the world.
- Decadal Growth rate of Population in India between 2001-2011 was 17.64%. It decreased from 21.54% during 1991-2001.
- Annual Growth rate of India as per India Census 2011: 1.64%
- This decade for the first time (except 1911-1921) has added lesser number of people than the previous decade. It is an important feature of this decade.
- Among the States, the most populous states are:
- West Bengal
- Andhra Pradesh
- Least Populous state in India is SIKKIM
- Most Populous Union Territory in India is NCT of DELHI.
- Least Populous Union Territory in India is Lakshdweep.
- Overall, UP is the most populous (199 million) and Lakshdweep is the least populous ( around 65000).
- States/U.Ts having Lowest Growth rates (in increasing order):
- States/U.Ts having Highest Growth rates (in decreasing order):
- Dadar and Nagar Haveli
- Daman and Diu
- Arunachal Pradesh
- So, overall Nagaland had the lowest decadal growth rate and Dadar & Nagar Haveli had the highest decadal growth rate during 2001-2011.
Population Density of India:
- Population Density as per India Census 2011: 382 (increased from 324 in the previous decade).
- Among the UTs , Delhi has the highest population density in India i.e 11,320 persons/sq.km. Chandigarh ranks second with 9258 persons/sq.km
- Among the UTs ,Andaman and Nicobar Islands have the lowest population density in India i.e 46persons/sq.km.
- Among the States , Bihar has the highest population density in India i.e 1106 persons/sq.km. West Bengal ranks second with 1028 persons/sq.km
- Among the States , Arunachal Pradesh has the lowest population density in India i.e 17 persons/sq.km.
Size, Growth Rate and Distribution of Child Population:
- Total number of children in the age-group of 0-6 yrs : 158.8 million.
- Decline in proportion of population of children has been seen in all states during 2001-2011 except Jammu and Kashmir.
- Child Sex Ratio: 914 (it was 927 in previous decade)
- States/UTs having highest Child Sex Ratios:
- Mizoram -971
- Meghalaya – 970
- Andamans – 966 [* UT having highest Child sex ratio]
- States/UTs having Lowest Child-Sex Ratios:
- Haryana – 830
- Punjab – 846
- Jammu and Kashmir -859
- Delhi -866 [* UT having lowest Child sex ratio]
- Chandigarh -867
- Lakshadweep – 908
- Sex Ratio : 940
- This is the highest sex ration since 1971.
- It increased from 933 during 1991-2001.
- States/UTs having highest Sex Ratios:
- Kerela – 1084
- Puducherry – 1038 [* UT having highest sex ratio]
- Tamil Nadu – 995
- States/UTs having Lowest Sex Ratios:
- Daman and Diu – 618
- Dadra and Nagar Haveli – 775
- Haryana – 877 [* State having lowest sex ratio]
- Jammu and Kashmir – 883
- Literacy Rate of India as per India Census 2011 : 74.04%
- Male Literacy Rate of India : 82.14%
- Female Literacy Rate of India : 65.4%
- States/UTs having Highest Literacy Rates in India:
- Kerala – 93.91%
- Lakshadweep -92.28 %
- Mizoram – 91.58%
- States/UTs having Lowest Literacy Rates in India:
- Bihar – 63.82%
- Arunachal Pradesh – 66.9 %
- Rajasthan -67%
- Kerela has the highest Female Literacy rate (91.98%). Mizoram ranks second.
- Rajasthan has the lowest Female Literacy rate (52.66%) .Bihar ranks second.
- Lakshadweep has the highest Male Literacy rate (around 96%) . Kerela ranks second.
- Bihar has the lowest male Literacy rate (73.39%). Arunachal ranks second.
Leave Comment Down below to Add more to the India Census 2011.