Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya, who was India’s first woman DGP, passed away, following an illness, on 26th August 2019 in Mumbai.
About Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya:
- Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya belonged to Amritsar in Punjab.
- She was a 1973 batch officer. She made history in 2004 when she was appointed as the DGP of Uttarakhand. With this, Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya became the first woman in the nation to hold such a position.
- She was also the second woman IPS officer in the country, after Kiran Bedi.
- As the first woman DGP of a state, she tried to fight the bias against women. It was due to her initiative that women home guards were given the responsibility of manning traffic points in cities.
- She relinquished her duties from the police service on October 31, 2007.
Her struggle was immortalised on the small screen by her younger sister Kavita Chaudhary, who made the serial Udaan. Kavita Chaudhary Bhattacharya also made an appearance on the show ‘Udaan’.