The Union Government has reconstituted the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library Society. The government has removed Mallikarjun Kharge, Jairam Ramesh and Karan Singh, all belonging to the Indian National Congress, as the members of the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library Society. Famous Journalist Rajat Sharma and adman Prasoon Joshi are some of the newly inducted members in the society.
Members of the Nehru Memorial Society:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is the president of the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library Society and Defence Minister Rajnath Singh is the vice president of the society.
- Union Ministers Amit Shah, Nirmala Sitharaman, Ramesh Pokhriyal, Prakash Javadekar, V Muraleedharan and Prahlad Singh Patel, ICCR chairman Vinay Sahsrabudhhe, Prasar Bharti chairman A Surya Prakash, secretaries of Expenditure, Culture and Housing and Urban Affairs, are its members.
- Besides, the chairman of the UGC, representative of Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial fund, Raghvendra Singh, director of NMML and journalist Sharma are also the new members.
- The other members include Anirban Ganguly, policy researcher and author, Sachchinanda Joshi, Member Secretary, IGNCA, academic Kapil Kapoor, Lokesh Chandra, Vedic and Buddhist scholar, Makarand Pranjpe, academic, writer, Kishore Makwana, academic Kamlesh Joshipura, researcher Rizwan Kadri along with Sahasrabuddhe and Rai.
About Nehru Memorial Society:
- The Nehru Memorial Museum & Library is a museum and library which aims to preserve and reconstruct the history of the Indian independence movement.
- It is located in Teen Murti House, New Delhi
- Chairman: Narendra Modi
- Director: Shakti Sinha
- it is an autonomous institution under the Indian Ministry of Culture
- It was founded in 1964 after the death of India’s first prime minister, Jawaharlal Nehru.
- A dagger gifted to former prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru by Saudi Arabia was stolen in 2016 from this museum.