What is Public Affairs Index 2018?
- Public Affairs Index is an index on the quality of governance
- It is publsihed by Bengaluru-based think tank Public Affairs Centre
- It is based on 10 themes, 30 focus subjects and 100 indicators.
- Kerala has been ranked first in the Public Affairs Index 2018
What is the Ranking of various states in the Public Affairs Index 2018?
- Kerala (1st), Tamil Nadu(2nd), Telangana(3rd), Karnataka(4th) and Gujarat(5th) in the Public Affairs Index 2018 .
- Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand and Bihar(last) ranked the lowest on the PAI. it indicates higher social and economic inequalities in these states.
- Among smaller states (with a population less than two crores), Himachal Pradesh topped the list, followed by Goa, Mizoram, Sikkim and Tripura which figured among the top five states with good governance.
- Nagaland, Manipur and Meghalaya were ranked at the bottom of the index among small states.
- On Environment sub-index: Karnataka topped the list. Karnataka also topped Transparency and Accountability index
- On Economic Freedom sub-Index: Gujarat topped the list
- On Women and Children sub-Index: Mizoram came first. Mizoram also ranked first in Delivery of Justice index
- On Crime Law and Order sub-index: Nagaland came first
What is new in PAI 2018?
- This year’s PAI had a separate index on the children of India, giving a measure of how child-friendly each of the states is.
- Kerala, Himachal Pradesh and Mizoram topped the index on being the states to provide better living conditions for all children.