Size and Location of India-UPSC Notes- Indian Geography
Size and Location of India- Facts at a Glance
This Article lists various facts and figures related to the Geographical size and location of India.The points are compiled from Geography NCERT books of class 6th , 9th and 11th. Various questions based on size and location of India are asked in the competitive examinations like UPSC civil services, SSC CGL, AFCAT, NDA, CDS etc.
India – Geographical Size:
- India has an area of about 3.28 million sq. km.
- India’s total area accounts for about 2.4 per cent of the total geographical area of the world..
- India is the seventh largest country of the world.
- India has a land boundary of about 15,200 km.
- The north-south extent from Kashmir to Kanyakumari is about 3,214 km.
- And the east-west extent from Arunachal Pradesh to Kuchchh is about 2,933 km.
- India has a population of more around 125 crores since 2014.
- It is the second most populous country of the world after China.
- India has a coastline of 6100 kms in the mainland and 7517 kms in mainland plus the island groups.
India – LOCATIONAL SETTING:
- India is located in the northern hemisphere.
- The Tropic of Cancer (23°30’N) passes almost halfway through the Country.It passes through 7 states i.e Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chattisgarh, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Tripura and Mizoram.
- From south to north, main land of India extends between 8°4’N and 37°6’N latitudes.
- From west to east, India extends between 68°7’E and 97°25’E longitudes.
- The Southern most point of Indian Union is called as Indira Point which is located on the Great Nicobar island.
- To the southeast and southwest of the mainland, lie the Andaman and Nicobar islands and the Lakshadweep islands in Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea respectively.
- Due to great longitudinal extent of about 29°, there could be a wide differences in local time of places located at two extreme points of India.
- That is why the local time of longitude of 82°30’E passing through Mirzapur (in Uttar Pradesh) has been taken as the Indian Standard Time. This meridian or longitude is also termed as the Standard Meridian of India.
There are seven countries that share land boundaries with India.:
Sri Lanka and Maldives are two island neighbours of India. Sri Lanka is separated from India by Gulf of Mannar and Palk Strait.
Please Share “Size and Location of India” with others and Leave your comments if you find this helpful. It will help us to continue.