Socio-Religious Movements – Questions on Indian History for UPSC Civil Services, SSC etc.
Questions on Indian History – Socio-Religious Movements. Try Modern Indian History questions from the Socio-Religious Movements topic. Click on ‘Show Answer’ button to reveal the answers.
Q1: Who was the founder of Brahmo Samaj?
- Brahmo Samaj was founded by Raja Ram Mohan Roy in 1828 in Calcutta.
- Brahmo Samaj propagated monotheism. Also opposed idolatry, superstitions, Sati.
- Brahmo Samaj worked for reforms in Hindu society
- Previously it was known as Atmiya Sabha
Q2: Who founded the Young Bengal Movement?
- The Young Bengal Movement was founded by Henry Louis Vivian Derozio
- The Young Bengal Movement believed in Truth, reason and Freedom
- It opposed the vices in the society
- It also brought out a journal called as Jnanavesan
Q3: Who founded the Dharma Sabha?
- Dharma Sabha was founded by Radha Kant Deb in 1829 in Calcutta.
- Dharma Sabha was founded in opposition to the Brahmo Samaj
- Dharma Sabha aimed to protect Orthodoxy and opposed liberal reforms
Q4: Who founded the Prarthana Samaj?
- Brahmo Samaj was founded by Atmaram Pandurang in Bombay.
- Govind Ranade and R.G. Bhandarkar were also members of Prarthana Samaj
- Prarthana Samaj worked for the upliftment of women and abolishment of Caste discrimination
- Prarthana Samaj raised voice against religious orthodoxy
Q5: Who founded the Indian Reform Association?
- Indian Reform Association was founded by Keshab Chandra Sen in 1870 in Calcutta
- Indian Reform Association worked to create public opinion against Child Marriage
- Indian Reform Association also worked to legalise Brahmo type of Marriages
Q6: Who founded the Arya Samaj?
- Arya Samaj was founded by Dayanand Saraswati in Bombay in 1875
- Dayanand Saraswati was originally known as Mula Shankar
- The Arya Samaj asserted Hindu faith over other Religions
- The Arya Samaj denounced rites, idolatry, superstitions and Brahminical superstitions
Q7: Who founded the Ramakrishna Mission?
- The Ramakrishna Mission was founded in Bengal in 1897
- Ramakrishna Mission was founded by Swami Vivekananda, originally known as Narendranath Dutta
- Its primary aim wad to revive Hinduism based on ancient India’s religious texts
- Ramakrishna Mission worked for the upliftment of women and was against the caste restrictions and superstitions
Q8: Who founded the Servants of India Society?
- The Servants of India Society was founded by Gopal Krishna Gokhale in 1905 in Bombay
- The Servants of India Society particularly worked to improve conditions of the tribals
- Also, they worked for Famine relief
Q9: Who founded the Social Service League?
- The Social Service League was founded by Narayan Malhar Joshi (N.M Joshi) in 1911
- The Social Service League aimed to improve the condition of common masses
- It opened schools and libraries at various places
Q10: Who founded the Indian Women’s Association?
- Indian Women’s Association was founded by Annie Besant in 1917 in Madras
- It worked for the upliftment of Indian Women
More Indian History Quiz:
Do you find “Indian History Quiz“ useful. Please Leave your Comments and suggestions down below.
Also, if there is any error or any correction that is needed in above questions, please don’t hesitate to point out.