Daily Current Affairs GK Update – 23 May 2015
U.K Town gets its First Sikh Mayor[Non-UPSC]:
- Parvinder Singh Batth, a conservative party councilor took charge as the Mayor of Workingham Burrough Council.
- He has also served the same Burrough previously as Deputy Mayor.
Dragon Cargo Ship returns to earth[All]:
- Dragon cargo ship of SpaceX returned to earth from the International Space Station.
- The Dragon is the only ship capable of returning to Earth intact.
- It brought some 1400kg of cargo back to earth.
- What si SpaceX?: SpaceX is a Space Exploration Technologies Corporation (SpaceX) is an American aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company.
- Headquarters of SpaceX: Hawthorne, California.
India reached 6th position in terms of scientific publications[All]:
- Earlier, India stood at the tenth position in terms of publishing scientific research papers in different journals.
Jayalalithaa becomes the chief minister of Tamil Nadu again[All]:
- Jayalalithaa becomes chief minister of Tamil Nadu for record fifth time. She equals the record of the DMK leader M Karunanidhi who has also been the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for 5 times.
- Earlier in September 2014, she was disqualified as an MLA in accordance with the Representation of People’s Act (RPA), 1951 as a trial court convicted her and had sentenced her to 4 years in jail in the Disproportionate Assets case.
- However, Karnataka High Court had acquitted her in the disproportionate assets case on May 11, 2015 after which she became the CM of Tamil Nadu again.
- What does Representation of People’s Act (RPA), 1951 say?: “Any convicted person sentenced to imprisonment for more than two years is disqualified from the date of such conviction and further barred from contesting election for 6 years after the release”.
UN Security Council Adopts Resolution to Curb Misuse of Small Arms[All]:
- Through the resolution, the UN Security Council advocates the establishment or strengthening, as appropriate, of subregional and regional mechanisms for cooperation, coordination and information sharing, particularly cross-border customs cooperation and information exchange networks “in order to prevent, combat and eradicate the illicit transfer, the destabilising accumulation and misuse of small arms and small arms.”
- The Security Council also considers it necessary that Member States put in place, if it does not exist, laws, rules and administrative procedures to allow them to effectively control the production of small arms and small arms within their jurisdiction and the export, import, transit or retransfer of such weapons.
- It also asked Member States, relevant United Nations entities and intergovernmental organisations, regional and subregional organisations in a position to do so to cooperate and exchange information on persons suspected of trafficking.
- The resolution adopted on 23 May 2015 calls for stronger cooperation among member nations in stemming the illicit transfer and misuse of small arms and light weapons.
Click this link for Previous Days Current Affairs: Daily Current Affairs for IBPS Bank Po, Bank Clerical, SSC, HPAS, PCS, AFCAT, CDS, NDA,State Civil Services and other exams
Was Daily Current Affairs GK Update – 23 May 2015 useful? Leave your Comments down below.