Himachal Pradesh Current Affairs for HPAS-2016:
Himachal Pradesh Current Affairs is an important part of HPAS examination. Questions related to the Himachal Pradesh Current Affairs are often asked in the HPAS General Studies paper both in Prelims as well ads Mains. As the HPAS Prelims is around the corner, HP Current Affairs preparation has to be done well. As there is always dearth of HP related Current Affairs, this post tries to collect all the important HP current events that took place in the last 6 months or so, so that the HPAS candidates can save their time searching for the HP Current Affairs.
All the students are requested to contribute to this post and add HP Current Affairs which you find missing. It will be collaborative effort and will only help in your preparation. Also keep Checking this page daily as daily HP Current events news items will be added and it is bound to grow.
Himachal Pradesh Current Affairs News Items for HPAS-2016:
70th Himachal Day celebrated across Himachal Pradesh on April 15th 2017
- Himachal Pradesh celebrated 70th Himachal Day function in Chamba. Himachal Pradesh came into existence by merging 30 odd princely states in 1948.
- According to a 2005 Transparency International survey, Himachal Pradesh was found to be the second least corrupt state in the country.
- An overview of development:
- In 1948, state’s per capita income was Rs 240 and State’s GDP was Rs 26 crore.At present, the corresponding figures are Rs 1,47,277 and Rs 1,24,570 crore respectively.
- Literacy rate has increased from 7% in 1948 to 82.80% (Census 2011).
- Out of total 3226 panchayats, 3138 panchayats have been connected with motorable roads From only 6 villages that had electricity, now every household has electricity. 70% of the population of the state depends on agriculture for their livelihood.
- To augment horticulture production, World Bank funded Rs 1134 crore Horticulture Development Project has been launched in the state.
Palampur Assembly constituency is India’s first e-assembly of nation
- The e-system would be introduced in other 67 constituencies of the state in next six months. Besides, the HP state assembly is the first assembly to adopt the e-Vidhan system.
- This conversion of the Palampur into an e-constituency is Himachal Pradesh government’s commitment to Union Government’s Digital India mission.
India-Oman joint military exercise Al-Nagah-II 2017 held in Himachal Pradesh
- Al-Nagah-II 2017, the joint military exercise, between India and Oman began in the Dhauladhar Ranges in Bakloh belt of Himachal Pradesh to strengthen the military ties between the two countries.
- It is the second edition of the exercise in continuation of a series of joint exercises between the armies of the two countries. The 1st edition of the exercise was held at Muscat, Oman in 2015.
Himachal Pradesh overtakes Kerala in learning outcomes: ASER
- According to Status of Education Report (ASER) 2016, students of Himachal Pradesh stand ahead of Kerala and all other states in terms of learning outcomes.
- The 2016 ASER was the largest annual household survey of the children in India in the field of education.
- ASER 2016 focused on status of schooling and basic learning.
Three mega hydro projects inaugrated in Himachal Pradesh
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated three hydro-electric projects (HEPs) with a generating capacity of 1,732 MW in Himachal Pradesh. All the three power projects are equipped with generating equipment supplied and commissioned by state owned Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL).
- These three hydro-electric projects are:
- Koldam HEP: It is 4×200 MW capacity project executed by National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC).
- Parbati HEP: It is Stage-III project with a capacity of 530 MW of National Hydropower Corporation (NHPC).
- Rampur HEP: It is 412 MW capacity project of Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam (SJVN).
Himansh, India’s remote, high-altitude station opens in Himalayas
- A high altitude glaciological research station in Himalaya called Himansh (meaning a slice of ice) began functioning above 13,500 ft (4000 m) in a remote region in Spiti, Himachal Pradesh.
- Researchers will use this station as a base for undertaking surveys that would digitize the glacier motion and snow cover variations with exceptional precision.
Himachal Pradesh declared India’s second Open Defecation Free State
- The State of Himachal Pradesh was officially declared Open Defecation Free (ODF). Every individual household in the state has functional toilet under the ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’.
- With this, Himachal Pradesh becomes the second state in the country after Sikkim to achieve the feat. However, among bigger states Himachal Pradesh is the first state to become Open Defecation Free.
Himachal Pradesh becomes first state to launch green-concept based State Data Centre
- Himachal Pradesh became the first state in the country to have a State Data Centre (SDC), designed using green data centre concept.
- The SDC will offer 101 people-oriented services online through an integrated data base.
- It would integrate the websites of various departments and all services can be accessed through the integrated data base.
- It would help in saving time and money spent on creation of infrastructure as all services would be provided online in digital format thus, giving boost to paperless governance.
Himachal Pradesh launches artificial propagation programme of mahseer fish for conservation
- Himachal Pradesh fisheries department has started an artificial propagation programme for rehabilitation and conservation of Golden Mahseer fish.
- Under this programme, a hatchery has been set up in the state with an outlay of Rs 6 crore to rear mahseer fish and release its fingerlings into the wild.
- Golden mahseer is the longest-living freshwater fish. It is also known as the tiger of Indian rivers and belongs to the genus Tor. It is native to mountain and sub-mountain regions and is found at altitudes of up to 2,000 metres above sea level.
Himachal Pradesh Government launches PEHAL, a vision document of the Shimla District
- Himachal Pradesh Government has launched ‘PEHAL’, a vision document of the Shimla District administration for raising education standards.
- PEHAL is an attempt to integrate the various stakeholders in the development story of the district.
- The aim of the PEHAL programme is to identify certain thrust areas which have a direct bearing on the lives of the people at grassroots.
- The five areas identified under PEHAL are Forest Rights, Primary Education, Campaign against drugs, Health and Sanitation and skill development and Women Empowerment.
- The initiative also aims at building a resource base of semi-skilled and skilled women.
- Under Pehal, empowering the people with requisite skills under the livelihood mission will include basic masonry, electrical work, home appliances reparing and plumber courses.
Swachh Himachal Padhai bhi, Safai bhi campaign launched
- Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association (HPCA) has launched ‘Swachh Himachal – Padhai bhi, Safai bhi’ campaign in Dharamsala.
- With this unique campaign, HPCA became the first cricket association in the country to work towards Swatch Bharat Abhiyan initiated by the Union Government.
- The campaign aims at involving youth to promote good health and sanitation in urban and rural areas in the Himalayan state.
- Its objective is to showcase Himachal’s beauty as India’s cleanest and greenest state.
- Under it, the sport of cricket will be linked with Swatch Bharat Abhiyan and youth’s will be termed as Swatch Captain and teachers as Swatch Coach.
- They will start cleanliness drive with the help of students from universities, educational institutes and then in their local neighbourhood.
Himachal Pradesh becomes first State to launch Rotavirus vaccination project
- Himachal Pradesh has become the first state in the country to start Rotavirus vaccination project under the Universal Immunisation Programme (UIP).
- Rotavirus vaccination project is based on the analogy of the polio vaccine.
- Under it Rotavirus drops would be administered to the children at 6, 10 and 14 weeks after birth. The vaccination project will help in controlling the deaths amongst small children due to Diarrhoea.
Himachal Pradesh Government launched India’s first e-Vidhan Mobile app
- With this, Himachal Pradesh Vidhan Sabha became the first state assembly in the country to launch e-Vidhan Mobile app.
- This system will help the state to save about 8 crore rupees per annum that is spent on the paper.
Himachal Pradesh Government launched Crime and Criminal Tracking Network System Project
- This project which is undertaken as a Mission Mode Project under the National e-governance plan will be completely funded by the Union Government.
- It will help in connecting 177 sites and 114 police stations in the state besides 13 district headquarters, 26 sub-divisional police officers and three police ranges along with state crime records bureau.
- The project will also provide multiple channels to access citizen centric services from police.
World Bank published a report on Social Inclusion and Sustainable Development in Himachal Pradesh
- Main highlights of the Report
- Per capita income in HP is the second highest in the country .
- Educational attainment is among the highest in the country.
- The share of women in the workforce is larger than in most other states.
- Himachal Pradesh is the first state in the country to have banned the use of plastic bags.
- The state is the first among its north Indian neighbours to come close to becoming open defecation free.
- Cultural factors have helped the state reach high levels of sanitation, immunization and school attendance.
- Poverty headcount is nearly one-third the national average.
- More members of SC and ST groups have completed secondary or higher levels of schooling, both in rural and urban areas compared to other states, including southern states like Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
- The big success story is in female labour force participation which stands second in the country after Sikkim.
- Urban areas in Himachal Pradesh lag behind rural areas in human development outcomes.
NHRC issued notice to Himachal Pradesh government on declining sex ratio in Una
- The NHRC took suo motu action and issued notice after media reports claimed that sex ratio in 25 Panchayats of Una district of HP is has gone down to 500 female infants born against 1000 males, in past two years.
- This is despite the fact that there is ban on sex determination in the State.
Kalyan Singh sworn in as the new Himachal Pradesh Governor
- Rajasthan Governor Kalyan Singh was sworn in as the 26th Governor of Himachal Pradesh.
- He was given an additional charge of Himachal Pradesh after the then governor Urmila Singh, completed the full five year term on January 24.
- He has served two terms as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
Himachal Pradesh to host First Para-gliding World Cup in India in 2015
- This will be the first para-gliding World Cup to be hosted in India.
- The tournament will be organised under the aegis of Para-gliding World Cup Association, France.
- The World Cup will be hosted in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh from 24 October 2015.
HPTDC launches Apple Festival in Himachal Pradesh
- The Himachal Pradesh State Tourism Department has launched an Apple Festival in HP to showcase and promote locally produced apples and apple made products among tourist.
- The HPTDC also plans to take the tourists to the apple orchards itself so that they may have a more hands-on experience of the plucking, packaging and marketing processes involved.
- The horticulture industry is a major source of revenue for HP, with apple being the most important horticultural crop.
Great Himalayan National Park of Kullu Conservation Area added in World Heritage list
- Location: Kullu District, Himachal Pradesh, India
- Area and Rivers: 905.40 sq km, includes the upper mountain glacial and snow melt water source origins of the westward flowing JiwaNal, Sainj and Tirthan Rivers and the north-westward flowing Parvati River.
- Several rare and threatened species including the Western Tragopan, Himalayan Tahr,Chir Pheasant, Asiatic Black Bear, Snow Leopard, Himalayan Musk Deer, Blue Sheep and Serow inhabit in this area.
- Around 25 threatened IUCN Red-listed plant species have been registered from the park.
- The boundaries of GHNP are also adjoining the Khirganga National Park, the Pin Valley National Park in trans-Himalaya, Rupi-Bhabha Wildlife Sanctuary in Sutlej watershed and Kanawar Wildlife Sanctuary (61 sq km).
Farmers oppose the Additional Tunnel in Sawra-Kuddu Hydel Project:
- Location of Sawra-Kuddu Hydel Project: Shimla District on Pabbar River.
- Farmers fear that it might disturb the Ecological Equilibrium in the area.
H.P resolves TONS Dam row with Uttarakhand:
- Kishau Dam Project to be built over river TONS.
- Both Govts. have decided to share the benefits equally.
Himachal Pradesh Economic Survey 2014-2015: Main Points
- Economy of Himachal Pradesh expected to grow 6.5 per cent in the current financial year, less than the national growth of 7.5 per cent.
- The per capita income is expected to be at Rs 1,04,943 crore in the current financial year.
- The Gross State Domestic product (GSDP) at current prices is estimated to touch Rs 85,841 crore.
- Agriculture sector contributes 14 % to the GSDP.
- Fruit production was 0.65 tonne (mt) till the end of the previous year.
- Apple has a share of 89 per cent in the state’s fruit basket. Apple production fell to 0.58 mt, compared with 0.74 mt in the previous year.
- Off-season vegetable production in the previous year was 1.43 mt. This is expected to be higher at 1.45 mt this financial year.
- Tourism contributes 7.5 per cent to the GSDP. Last year, the highest 16.3 million tourists visited the state, this includes 390,000 foreigners.
- The Economic Survey report says there are 2,377 hotels that have a bed capacity of 61,236.
- HP is Blessed with a potential of 27,434 megawatt (Mw) of hydro power, but the state has been able to tap only a third of this potential at 9,433 Mw.
- The survey says there are 502 medium and large scale industries. Small-scale industries have gone up to 40,429, with a total investment of about Rs 18,307 crore.