Global Innovation Index 2018
UPSC Mains General Studies Paper II
Download Global Innovation Index 2018 PDF
What is Global Innovation Index 2018?
- Global Innovation Index is jointly released by Cornell University, INSEAD and World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO).
- The Global Innovation Index (GII) 2018 is the 11th edition of the GII
- Theme of GII 2018: Energizing the World with Innovation.
- GII 2018 analyses the energy innovation landscape of the next decade and identifies possible breakthroughs in fields such as energy production, storage, distribution, and consumption.
- GII 2018 also looks at how breakthrough innovation occurs at the grassroots level and describes how small-scale renewable systems are on the rise.
- Total 126 economies are ranked in Global Innovation Index based on 80 indicators.
What is India’s rank in Global Innovation Index 2018?
- India’s rank in Global Innovation Index 2018: 57th
- India has moved up 3 places as compared to 60th rank in GII 2017.
- India has been consistently moving up on global ranking from 81st in 2015 to 57th this year.
- India has emerged as top-ranked economy in Central and South Asia.
- India is the most innovative country in its region of central and southern Asia.
- in quality of innovation inputs and outputs indicator, India is ranked second after China in the lower and upper middle income group combined.
- However, India has fared badly on indicators such as ease of starting business, political stability and safety, overall education and environmental performance.
Which country has topped the Global Innovation Index 2018 ranking?
- Switzerland is at the top of Global Innovation Index 2018 ranking .
- Switzerland has been ranked at the top every year since 2011.
- Netherlands is at 2nd and Sweden at 3rd.
- US is at sixth place. It was at fourth in 2017.
What is the performance of other countries in Global Innovation Index 2018 ?
- Four of the top five innovation clusters based on patents and publishing are located in Asia .
- San Francisco is the only innovation cluster outside Asia among the top five.
- Tokyo is at the top, and two of the top five clusters are in China.
- China is ranked at 17th place, it broke into the world’s top 20 most-innovative economies.
- On a new indicator – mobile-app creation – Cyprus, Finland and Lithuania has emerged as global leaders in development of mobile apps relative to GDP.
Why is Global Innovation Index 2018 in News?
- India aims to break into TOP 10 rank of GII .
- NITI Aayog has proposed to join hands with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) to develop a Roadmap to break into Top 10 Ranking of Global Innovation Index (GII).
How can India better its GII ranking?
- India needs to Transform its Innovation Ecosystem by formulating a New Innovation Policy to attract R&D investment into cutting edge technologies and build appropriate infrastructure and institutions.
- India needs to Tap Global hotspots of Innovation in latest technologies like AI, Blockchain and Robotics etc.
- India should think about connecting its Tinkering labs in schools with start-ups, business and high-end educational institutions.
- India needs to Target efficient, productive and outcome driven R&D in the Government Sector.